Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Setting Up For Success

Our first competition is this Saturday and the thing I hope the most is that I have done all I can to set my guard up for success. Competition days are the hardest for me. As a performer I had complete control over what I did, but as an instructor...when the music starts I have no control over how the girls do. It is in their hands now and I want to know I did all I could to prepare them and set them up to do well.

Last year the wg I was fortunate enough to work with never stopped amazing me. When I thought I had given them something they might not be able to achieve, they completely ran with it. I quickly started to stop underestimating them and allow them amaze me day after day. I knew I had done what I could to set them up for a successful year and they completely raised to the occasion.

Setting Up For Success

Moving to a higher class -- Understanding your class

Get ready because this step might not be "fun" but I promise you it's essential and will ultimately make your life far easier.

KNOW THE STANDARDS OF YOUR CLASS

Prepare by studying the DVDs of your class from Dayton, and also look at the bottom of the next class higher. Be aware of every quality and choice those folks made and how they were rewarded for their efforts. Knowing the "field" gives you the information to assess where you stand in comparison and allows you to assess just how far you can push your students to higher levels.

Focus largely on the skills (vocabulary) and the level of training the students are demonstrating.

Look for trends, both at a design level and at a performance level. Note what seems to be getting the scoring "nod" and consider this as you make your choices.

Most of you will be listening to what seems to be the popular musical choice (that's going to be a major topic in and of itself in a few weeks) and I want to caution you about the tendency to jump on the "Ballad" bandwagon. If you do choose a ballad, make sure you have a "twist" that will set you apart.

KNOW THE SCORING SYSTEM

You've got to do your homework. Study the manual. This is the common tool that both you and the judges will work from. This is your "Accountability" link that will give you the basis of being on the same page.

Do not assume you know what the system is about.

Do not assume we are like any other scoring system in our related activities. Philosophically we function with a totally different set of priorities, and while score sheets from Activity to Activity may have a similar name, I assure you the application is very different for Winter Guard.

KNOW YOUR STUDENTS

Consider the talent level of your students. Know just how far you can challenge them.

Consider how much time you have for training. Don't shortchange this step.

Consider the social/economic circumstances of your students because that could impact their personalities and their time.

KNOW YOUR STAFF

Don't over or under estimate those who will be assisting you. Set everyone up for success.

IF YOU ARE IN A HIGHER CLASS

Challenge the students with a more diverse vocabulary.

Set them up mentally for higher expectations. Push their limits and set goals that they can achieve and be sure they start to think in a different way.

If you are now an open class guard, remember that now the Movement and Equipment scores equally credit vocabulary and excellence.

Don't buy into the idea that you should just keep doing what you did the previous year. I assure you, the higher the class the greater the expectations and challenges.

REMEMBER, THIS IS COMPETITION. IF YOU WANT TO DO WELL IN THE GAME AT ANY LEVEL, YOU MUST KNOW THE RULES AND THE OTHER COMPETITORS. TRAIN TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FIRST AND TO SURPASS THE SECOND.

THE EDUCATIONAL PART OF ANY COMPETITIVE EVENT IS PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES AND SURPASSING PREVIOUS EFFORTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment