Monday, January 25, 2010

1st Competition

How can 12 straight hours of Winter guard make a weekend so perfect?!?!

Saturday the WHS WG had their first competition. They got to the school in the morning to have a short rehearsal. I was more my guard instructing and inspiring self that morning, running things quickly, cheering them on, complementing them where ever I could, flooding energy out into the room for them to feed upon and they finally started to. Their run throughs went so well and had so much energy it really gave me a lot of hope for the season. If only I could do that every day with them.

They did well at the competition too. They didn't make finals, but their biggest issue is incompleteness. With only 45 mins of tarp time each day it takes a while to get everything filled in. But once the show is finished I think it will be great! The girls are really doing well so far and I look forward to how they will do with what we give them next.

I want to push them. Challenge them. See the very limits of their abilities and watch them redefine those limits. I hope I get the chance to do that. There is nothing better than seeing a girl struggle with something and know they think they will never get it, then watch the day when they finally do and watching their eyes light up.

Then the thought finally develops in their mind - "If I can do that I can do ANYTHING!" Such a turning point for a guard girl. I remember that moment for me. Nashy 05...a rifle part that Scottie to Hottie wrote and I never thought I would be able to do it. Once I did I never struggled like that with rifle choreography again.

Speaking of National Ave! THEY ARE BACK!!!!! If anyone is a Nashy alumni you will be PROUD of their show this year! Makes me want to wear a button that says "I Was On Nashy!" Their show reminds me of 2005 so much...but the kids are even stronger than we were. It’s going to be a special year for them and I can’t wait to see how it ends! Good job Lady Sullivan for picking the song!

Pride has a different show this year! And when I say "different" I mean Good different! Really fun to watch and nice to see them do something they have never done before. Also, I really enjoyed watching Scott ROCK IT OUT on his solo. He was a rookie my age out year, I believe, and he has grown SO much. I am officially a big Scott fan! He will bring down the house this season!

And the BEST part of the day. The return of the Odessa and Kickapoo rivalry!!!! Its like an Edward or Jacob thing...you are either for Team Odessa or Team Kickapoo. I know some have already decided who they think will take SA at MCCGA but I think we are going to have to wait and see! I just want them to both do AMAZING at WGI and represent MO like I know they can!

Its gonna be a fun season!

No comments:

Post a Comment