Thursday, February 25, 2010

Why Movement?

I was asked today...

"So, tell me again, why is movement so important to you? I would have figured equipment would have been your strength and what you would have been most interested in."

Why is movement so important to me....

Someone very smart said to me once....if you don't have a body, the equipment cant spin its self. Or something like that. I think when he said it, it sounded much more eloquent.

I feel that your body can be so much more expressive that a piece of wood or metal. Nothing should be done on equipment that isn't motivated by the body. Movement is the only thing that can stand alone in the activity and get credit for it.....big movement sections in a show can be so effective. Like if a band is really good at playing loud, they will sound even Louder if their soft moments are softer.

I feel like dance is allot like singing....it can show parts of the soul. Just standing and spinning your equipment doesn't show me your love and passion. So I think that is also why I love it so much.

Also, if someone can learn to really control their body through movement that usually floods over into their equipment and they will have more control in that as well. They will move through the staging better because they understand their bodies and the space around them.

So many reasons why I would always want my guard to be top of the class in movement. There's a reason Bishop Kearney won so many gold medals. Some might think they couldn't spin as well, but boy could they move!!!

This season, if my MS WG is first in movement I will consider that as good as a gold medal. Also, seeing the WHS WG move from 6th in their class in movement to 3rd has really made me happy. For me...there isn't much better than that. Except for Winning the Class at MCCGA Championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment